And so it begins, the first of what will hopefully be many installments written by yours truly regarding what it is like to start from scratch at 30 years old, playing a sport that most who play begin at age 4.
There are several reasons for this undertaking, firstly I like the idea of trying something completely new. I have no guide for this, no friends who play, and no one to show me the ropes. This is a difficult sport to start playing. Challenge accepted.
Secondly, we have two boys who might want to give it a shot seeing as we watch every Pens game and Beckham already knows a number of the players. Dad should know how to skate and dominate if he wants to teach his boys.
And finally hockey is just awesome. If Atlanta still had a team I would say to fork over the money, sit on the glass and then tell me it isn't unreal.
There are several reasons for this undertaking, firstly I like the idea of trying something completely new. I have no guide for this, no friends who play, and no one to show me the ropes. This is a difficult sport to start playing. Challenge accepted.
Secondly, we have two boys who might want to give it a shot seeing as we watch every Pens game and Beckham already knows a number of the players. Dad should know how to skate and dominate if he wants to teach his boys.
And finally hockey is just awesome. If Atlanta still had a team I would say to fork over the money, sit on the glass and then tell me it isn't unreal.
Lessons learned in 3.5 month of teaching myself to hockey skate:
1. Ice is hard as f*ck: Try not to fall on it. Little kids have about 2 feet to fall until ass hits ice. Grown men fall 6 feet or so and it hurts like hell.
2. The cool, sliding "hockey stop" that players do is not as easy as it looks: It took me about 3 months to figure it out and I'm still not great at it.
3. Being 30 and skating by yourself on a rink full of kids does not make you creepy: Because there will always be an old Canadian guy wearing spandex and a Whalers Jersey to make you seem more normal.
1. Ice is hard as f*ck: Try not to fall on it. Little kids have about 2 feet to fall until ass hits ice. Grown men fall 6 feet or so and it hurts like hell.
2. The cool, sliding "hockey stop" that players do is not as easy as it looks: It took me about 3 months to figure it out and I'm still not great at it.
3. Being 30 and skating by yourself on a rink full of kids does not make you creepy: Because there will always be an old Canadian guy wearing spandex and a Whalers Jersey to make you seem more normal.
In 3.5 months I can obviously go forward, I can slide to a stop, turn mid stride and go backwards, and do the sweet backwards cross-overs that make you look like you know what you are doing. It may not be as graceful as some folks but it gets better every time I'm out there. We'll get some video on the next post.
So in September the next Adult league begins. I will most likely be placed in the beginner league which would be perfect since I have never played but you have to start somewhere, right? The league does have evaluations and it will be interesting to be nervous/anxious about playing a sport again; it will be awesome to have that feeling.
No turning back now, cash money has been spent on pads and equipment, the hay is in the barn at this point and it is time to announce my presence with authority. I'll keep you posted.
No turning back now, cash money has been spent on pads and equipment, the hay is in the barn at this point and it is time to announce my presence with authority. I'll keep you posted.


0 comments:
Post a Comment