Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hockey Blog II - Undrafted Rookie (for now)

(Guest Post by Scott)

Evaluations for this Hockey league are set for Sunday at 8:50 pm. This will also be the first time I will ever handle a puck on the ice or attempt a shot with an actual goalie in net.

Nerves are starting to kick in a bit but I am going to try my best to have fun with this instead of making it ultra competitive. Who am I kidding...I will probably make it ultra competitive, check some 40 year old dude into the boards and celebrate my first goal like it was game 7 of the finals. I already have a celebration in mind. I will get to that in a future post.

My wonderful sister had some vacation days to burn this week, so I enlisted her as a camera woman. Here are some videos.





I am beast mode in my hockey pads, it reminds me of the commercial where the chick dresses up like a french maid and the guy dresses up like a goalie for some "role playing".



Note: Seeing as this guy is a Flyers fan I'm not sure why he is doing any role playing since he clearly does not have a penis.



I slowed the skating down for the camera, normally I skate at about 80 mph, weaving in and out of small children as if they were pylons.



A little clarification here, the dude in the background teaches lessons to small kids, he is always at the rink. He is like the skating equivalent of the soup nazi, pounding the fundamentals into these kids like he is getting paid for it (which he is). I think my lack of formal training irks this guy, I am waiting for him to point me out to his students and say "don't do it like that moron".

I should have interviewed him for the blog entry, he was there when I was busting my ass trying to transition from forwards to backwards. He was witness to some less than graceful falls. He has to be somewhat impressed with the progress. Why doesn't he love me :(

Bonus footage: Amanda stepped out from behind the camera and donned the gloves for quick spin. Sorry I cut the camera off just before the triple lutz, Brian Boitano would be proud.




As for the upcoming evaluation it consists of drills for the first part and then a scrimmage game for the second part. Seeing as I have never played a real game outside of NHL '11 on PS3, this should be a spectacle to behold.

After the game there is a draft. That's right, a friggin' draft. Will we stand in a big line and teams will pick who they want? Will they do it behind closed doors? Initial thoughts:

1. Sweet Lord, I hope I'm not the worst one there...
2. I bette
r not be last picked or someone dies in the parking lot.

And lastly I saw this while perusing the interwebz today, it felt apropos
.


So at this point it is sink or swim, I have dropped too much capital in equipment to back out of this and evaluations will happen whether I am surprisingly decent or shit the bed like the Capitals in the playoffs. I'll let you know either way.

0 comments: